9th July 2020
Habitat Mapping / GIS Specialist Position
Ocean Ecology Limited is a marine ecological consultancy that specialises in providing marine ecological surveys, analysis and consultancy services to feed into EIAs, monitoring programmes and research projects. As part of our continued growth in the offshore renewables sector, we are looking for an individual with specialist GIS and data interrogation skills to help further develop our seabed habitat mapping capabilities.
The individual will primarily be responsible for managing and interrogating a wide variety of physical and biological datasets to develop seabed habitat maps for areas throughout UK and international waters. The outputs will inform the design of environmental sampling programmes undertaken by our field team in intertidal, nearshore and offshore areas and will form key components of the technical deliverables provided to our clients.
We are particularly keen to hear from innovative individuals with an aptitude for developing and applying novel approaches aimed at standardising, improving and streamlining data workflows. Strong skills in the use of GIS software packages (preferably ArcGIS) are essential. The role will also offer the opportunity for occasional nearshore and offshore field work. This position will be located at our offices in Epney, Gloucester although remote working will be considered.
The following will be essential to be considered for this post:
• Proficient in the use of GIS software (preferably ArcGIS);
• Demonstrable skills in manipulating physical and environmental data in R, Python or similar;
• Experience in reviewing and interpreting remote sensing data for habitat mapping purposes;
• Strong data management skills, with demonstrated experience in metadata handling and data archiving;
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel and Word;
• A minimum of a degree in a marine environmental discipline, GIS or similar.
• A minimum of 2 years professional or post-graduate experience in consultancy or research;
Desirable skills/experience include:
• Proficiency in the use of ArcPro and ArcGIS web mapping tools;
• Proficiency in processing spatial data (in R, QGIS, or ArcGIS)
• Post-graduate qualification(s);
• Proficient in conducting statistical analysis in PRIMER, R or similar;
• Demonstrable experience in preparing technical and research reports;
• Experience in developing and implementing predictive modelling techniques;
• Chartered Scientist status with a professional body / learned society;
• Demonstrable activity in the publication of peer-reviewed research;
• Knowledge of programming and / or development of web applications (ArcGIS Online); and
• In date offshore safety qualifications and medical certification.
A role at Ocean Ecology will provide you with the opportunity to work in and help shape a rapidly growing and dynamic organisation alongside a team of passionate marine scientists. We offer industry competitive salaries commensurate with experience, with associated benefits including a flexible working policy and health insurance.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com. Closing date for applications: 10th August 2020.